Dewitt Town Court

Dewitt Town Court


Working Hours:
Monday:8:30 am – 3:00 pm
Tuesday: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
Wednesday:8:30 am –3:00 pm
Thursday:  8:30 am – 3:00 pm
Friday: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed


Judge David S. Gideon
Judge Samuel C Young
Judge Robert L. Jokl

Court Administrative:


Chief Prosecutor

Scott D. McNamara, ESQ
Dial: 315-446-9180
Fax: 315-446-1232
Email: [email protected]


Connect with a Attorney

Clerk of Courts

Angela Epolito

Dewitt Town Court is one of the 28 town and village courts in the County of Onondaga, New York. It is situated with the 4th and 5th Judicial District Departments. It has jurisdiction over criminal and small claims and traffic and vehicle cases. It also handles speeding ticket cases given to people on the highway by the sheriff. The Onondaga District Attorney prosecutes most cases of criminal and traffic matters. The court staff do not have permission to provide legal advice to visitors.

See also  Kettering Municipal Court

How to search for the case record?

Dewitt Town Court records information is available online at the town clerk’s office and county clerk’s office. All the case information and trails are recorded and maintained by the county office. They can be searched online by using the following ways:

  • Searching by name
  • Searching by case number
  • Searching by address
  • Searching by phone
  • Searching by email

Some cases are not available online because they are confidential according to the law. These types of information are only available at the county court or county clerk’s office. They can be obtained by filing and sending a Freedom of Information Law request to the clerk’s office. The court will respond with whether to provide this information. These types of information are mainly given to a close relative, police or other investigation agency. For more information about the public records, call or mail the court. If you want genealogy records, contact the Historical Association of Onondaga County at Visit for more information related to the Freedom of Information Law.

see also What Is A Prosecutor In Court?

How to make payments?

Dewitt Town Court traffic tickets and other acceptable payments can be made in the following ways:


A person can pay for tickets and fines by visiting the court during regular court hours and paying in cash, checks, or with a card at the counter. 2.99% convenience and other charges will be applied if you make payment with a credit card.


A Person can send a certified check or money order to the court’s mailing address. The address is 5400 Butternut Dr, East Syracuse, NY 13057. Cash or personal checks are not acceptable in the mail; only certified checks or money orders are accepted. Remember to write your citation when you are sending the payment. If you want a receipt, mail it in a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

See also  Universal City Municipal Court

Online and phone

This court is not currently accepting payment via phone or online method.

see also Palm Beach County Florida Court Directory

The traffic court handles which types of the case?

The town of Dewitt Traffic Court handles all the offense and violation cases related to speeding, traffic and vehicle matters. The violation and offense include:

  • Driving with a suspended, expired or no license
  • Drives recklessly or when taking drugs
  • Drive with a high-speed limit that is not allowed
  • Operate vehicles with improper tags or improper plates
  • Fail to yield
  • Do not stop at the red signal or stop sign
  • Drive without a seat belt
  • Using a mobile phone while driving
  • Do not obey traffic control devices and rules

Enter a plea of guilty or not guilty before the citation date if you receive a traffic ticket. Hire an attorney if you need any help or guidance.

When appearing in court is necessary?

Dewitt Town court appearance is necessary in criminal and intoxicated driving cases. If a misdemeanor traffic ticket is given to you, you must appear in court for arraignments. Due to the corona pandemic, all other traffic violation cases are not handled in court. You had to pay the fine on time or write a plea when you received tickets.

How many types of pleas are available by this court?

Dewitt Town Court pleas are written in your defense when you receive a ticket. Two types of the plea are available by this court that are:

Plea of Guilty

Write a guilty plea if you admit you violated the law or committed a crime. Write an explanation of your crime or anything you want to say related to your offense. The court will review your application and respond to whether you had to come to the court or only pay the fine. If your case is severe, you can withdraw from your plea by taking permission from the court and preparing yourself for the trial.

See also  Rockingham County Courthouse

Plea of not Guilty

If you do not accept your offense and deny all the violations against you, then enter this plea. You had to write all the proof in your defense and explain the facts that can prove you are innocent. The court will review your application and send you a schedule for your court appearance, and you have to appear on time. You had to appear with all the proof you wrote while sending the plea. You may hire an attorney in this case so they can help you with all the proof you had and make efforts to suspend your ticket.

What are the responsibilities of the court clerk?

Dewitt Town Court clerk’s responsibility is to arrange the information obtained with the interaction for judges’ considerations. They are known as support staff that help every visitor who comes to the court but cannot provide legal services. The clerk will maintain each case file, receive and handle payment and fines, prepare the court calendar, provide a process for some instances and help the judge in the case hearing. 

see also Understanding The Federal Appeal On Florida’s 2018 Gun Law


What is the schedule for the court hearing?

The court hearing for the case is held in the first four weeks of every month. The schedule for judges are:

  • Judge David S. Gideon: Tuesday at 6:00 pm
  • Judge Samuel C Young: Wednesdays at 6:00 pm

Can my suspension be lifted if I do not pay the fine?

No, you had to pay all the fines if you wanted your suspension lifted. If you do pay on time, an extra fine will be added, and your driving license or insurance will be suspended.

How can I file a small claim case?

Town of Dewitt Small Claims court handles all the matters in which the claims are up to $3000.The small claim cases are filled by filing a form available at the clerk’s office. Fill in the personal information, the reason and the amount you are claiming. The person against whom you are claiming must be a resident of this town; if you are claiming for a building or office, then it will also be in that town.

Similar Posts