Avaco Town Court

Avoca Town Court

Google Maps

3 Chase St, Avoca, NY 14809, United States


Working Hours:
Monday: 8:00 am– 1:00 pm
Tuesday: 8:00 am– 1:00 pm
Wednesday:8:00 am– 1:00 pm
Thursday:  8:00 am– 1:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am– 1:00 pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed


Judge John Kelly McCarthy 
Judge Patrick J. McMahon

Court Administrative:


Chief Prosecutor

John Tunney. Karl Anderson
Dial:  607-566-2093
Fax: 607-566-3602


Connect with a Attorney

Clerk of Courts

Leann M. Wightman

Avoca Town Court is a justice court in Steuben County, New York. It is located within the 4th and 7th judicial departments. The court has jurisdiction over vehicle and traffic matters, small claims and eviction, and civil and criminal matters. This court recovers a massive volume of speeding and traffic tickets from I-390. Mainly cases are prosecuted by the Steuben County District Attorney.

See also  College Park Municipal Court

How to find records?

Avoca Town Court records can be found online in the following ways:

  • Searching by name
  • Searching by case number
  • Searching by address
  • Searching by phone
  • Searching by email

Some recorded information is confidential and is not found online. For these types of records, a person had to submit an open record request to the clerk’s office. Download and fill in all the information on the form and send it to the court clerk’s office. The court will then decide whether to provide you with that record information or not.


Avoca Town Court Division consists of the followings:

  • Criminal Division
  • Civil Division
  • Traffic and Vehicle Division
  • Small Claim Division

Which types of cases are handled by the criminal division?

Avoca Town Court criminal division handles cases related to crimes like murder, kidnapping, theft, and many more. Criminal case proceedings begin with an attorney, local court, or district attorney. Hire an attorney or an experienced criminal lawyer if you want to solve your case because, without an attorney, you will feel difficulty in these types of cases.

see also Gaston County Superior Court

How to make payments?

Avoca Town Court pay tickets can be made in the following ways:


A person can make payment by visiting the court during business hours and paying in cash, checks, or with a card at the counter. Service or deduction charges of 2.99% will be applied if you pay with a credit card. If you use a credit card, service charges, court fines, and two receipts will occur.


A person can pay online by using the online payment website. Processing fees will be applied in this method.

See also  Milan Town Court


A Person can send a certified check or money order to the court’s mailing address. Do not send cash or personal statements in the mail; only accredited checks are accepted. The mailing address is 3 Chase St, Avoca, NY 14809, United States.

What is the role of a clerk?

Avoca Town Court Clerk’s role is to help the judges to perform their duties. The office is the center of the town government as it gives the residents a wide variety of compulsory services. The clerk’s office also contains certificates, copies, and permits; a person had to submit the documents at their office for further case proceedings or papers. They also solve queries, collect fines and help the judge outside the court. The clerk’s office is an agent of licensing and custodians of the town records.

Which types of cases are handled by the small claim division?

Avoca Town Court’s small claim division handles cases in which claims are up to $10000. Hiring an attorney is not necessary in this type of case. It also takes the eviction cases of a property.

The court fee for taking a small claims case is $30, and the petition will be filled at the court. A person can sue a person aged 18+, and that person or property must be in that town. 

How to get a marriage license?

Avoca Town Court’s marriage license is obtained from the clerk’s office and is given by the health department of Steuben County. The fee for a marriage license is $40 and for certificates is $10 per copy. The couple’s age must be 18+. To obtain the permit, the couple had to submit a marriage form with a birth certificate, photo ID like a driver’s license, passport, or anything that could prove their identity. If anyone is divorced, a divorce paper must be submitted before getting support. If anyone wants the copies, fill out the certificated copy of the marriage license request, and submit it to the court. After receiving a license, a marriage ceremony is held in court.

See also  Superior Court of Sutter

Which types of cases are handled by the small claim division?

Avoca Town Court traffic division handles cases related to traffic, speeding, and vehicle that consists of:

  • Speeding Ticket
  • Moving Violation
  • Driving while drinking
  • Driving Recklessly
  • Leave from the accident scene
  • Criminal traffic violation
  • Accident
  • Drugs found in the car
  • Failure to obey the device from traffic controls
  • Driving without a license

Some traffic and vehicle cases are also solved by submitting a plea form of guilty or not guilty. After presenting the record, the court will respond whether to appear in court or pay a fine only. Hiring an attorney is compulsory in criminal traffic cases for your guidance.

see also Kentucky Circuit Courts

When is an appearance in court necessary?

Avoca Town Court appearance is necessary in criminal, civil, and small claims cases. In traffic cases, you can send a guilty or not guilty plea to the court. Then the court will respond if your appearance is necessary or if you pay the fine and do not come to the court.


How can I contact the court clerk?

You can visit the court during business hours or contact us using call or email.

Phone: 607-566-8511

Email: [email protected]

How many points did I personally get for a traffic violation?

Avoca Town Court traffic violation points depend upon the type of violation a person is involved in. For example, 4 points are given if the speed limit is over 11-20 mph and 11 points are given if the speed limit is over 40 mph, 5 points if using cell phones while driving or reckless driving, or do not stop when a school bus is coming, and 3 points if fails to yield right of way or forget to use proper child restraints or leave the site of the accident.

What happens if I do not pay the fine on time?

If you do not pay a fine or speeding ticket on time, an extra penalty will be added, your license or insurance will be canceled, and sometimes warrants will be issued against you.

Which clothes are allowed in the court?

Clothes should be comfortable, simple, and respectable. A suit or a Pent coat are recommended. Sleeveless, tight shirts, and torn pants are not allowed on the court. 

Similar Posts